Tuesday, March 22, 2005

A dreary day

Well Monday has come and gone and Tuesday is here and the sun poked out for a minute, just a minute!

So while I was feeling down and a little depressed it dawned on my that I had just helped my good friend Darren get a job here at the state in our mail room. This got me thinking that just a few years ago I was living out of my car, had no money and no place to call my own. Wow what a twist of fate as back then there was a lady named Patricia and she was my good friends girlfriends mother. While she could not stand my friend dating her daughter, I on the other hand was prince charming! Go figure, I do not know what she saw in me but she helped me get on my feet after my car had died while going up the grapevine out side of Bakerfields CA. and sent me money for a bus ride and even helped my get a room for rent! I remember asking why she was helping me and she said that one day I would be in a position to help someone and that I should remember this day and return the favor to whomever needed my help. Well it’s been over twenty years but I still remember Pat helping get into my room for rent in Livermore and telling me that all would be ok. And here I am today twenty something years later and my good friend Darren was out of work, no place to live, and forced with the idea of driving back home to Minnesota! I remembered talking with the mail-room supervisor and asking her where the front desk clerk was and her telling me with a sad face that she had to “let him go” when it just clicked “Hey I have a friend who needs a job!” and wow it took a month but today he started and is gainfully employed by the state of AZ. Life can be kind sometimes.

Just made me think of all the help my friends have given my along the way and that what comes around goes around! Darren is staying with me and the family till he can get a few paychecks under his belt and I hooked him up with a friend who need a roommate for his house so in the end it appears all has worked out.

Now I know this sounds weird coming from mister Mean and all but hey even the abominable Snow man had a heart…so I have a chance right!

1 comment:

Brian I said...

Keep that up and you'll have to change the name of your blog there, Mr. Mean... ;)

Good story - I knew bits of it from you telling me. And, uh, 20 years ago was a good long while ago.

Good job, and keep up the writing so we know how you're doing out there, eh?